You’re dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s for your upcoming New Zealand vacation and want to make sure that you have all the steps down in getting your motorhome campsite ready. Imagine this: you finally got comfy after a hard day of adventuring, and find that you need to get up to attend to something you missed. No one wants to realise that they forget to do something when they first arrive, so having a campsite checklist in advance is the right way to go. Here are our motorhome travel tips to help you stay on top of things.
Arriving at the Site
There are a great deal of things that you need to keep in mind when you are arriving at your site for camping in your motorhome. Not all of these items will apply to your motorhome or the campsite services, so you can change this to fit your particular needs.
- Check in with the campsite.
- Go to your assigned area watching for any obstacles or low-hanging branches.
- Apply the parking brake.
- Level the motorhome if necessary.
- Chock the wheels.
- Open the entry steps and operate the slide-outs.
- Power up.
- Attach the water supply.
- Attach to the sewer service if available.
- Turn on the gas or propane.
- Put out the awning and any camping future.
- Have an amazing night’s stay.
Leaving the Site
You will also want to make sure that you have a checklist ready for when you leave the site. You want everything to be put away correctly before you go to pull away.
- Empty the waste-water and fresh-water tanks, and clean up in the designated areas.
- Turn off gas or propane tanks at the cylinder.
- Close up the slide-outs and steps.
- Check the handbrake.
- Check all the interior and exterior windows and doors to be sure they are secured. This means cabinets, too!
- Make sure that everything loaded up is secure.
- Be sure to remove the chocks before pulling away.
- After pulling away, check again for anything left behind. You do not want to leave a mess or anything valuable behind. The site should look just as it did when you had arrived there.
Following the basics of these checklists will help you to be squared away with what you need to accomplish when you arrive at one of the wonderful campsites available throughout New Zealand. You can do your homework ahead of time if you want to find the campsites on your route that will best fit for your needs when it comes to electrical and other amenities. Remember to have fun!