Summer is a glorious time of year in New Zealand. There are many beautiful vistas to encounter and many things to do along the way. Keep in mind that summertime means more vehicles on the road, so be sure to pack your patience. Roads in New Zealand are a bit more challenging – they can be narrow, windswept and have loose gravel. Not to mention, you may encounter occasional livestock meandering on the rural roads.
These tips will help keep you safe and ensure your road trip is enjoyable:
Please note, vehicle safety inspections will be carried out prior to your rental dates, by a trusted Mighway Owner or by our Mighway Managed team.
- First and foremost, give yourself plenty of time for your journey.
- Check tires for wear and pressure, replace lights, and check brakes. Your rental owners will check this also.
- When packing for your excursion, make sure that everything you pack is securely placed, as even small objects can become a hazard in the event of a sudden stop.
- Remember, anything that you are trailering must also be inspected.
- Make sure chains are secure and all lights are functioning. Your maximum speed for towing a trailer is 90 km/h on open road driving in New Zealand.
- Keep to the left, and let vehicles pass when safe. Plan to be driving for no more than 1-2 hours at a time.
- Allowing extra time for your travel gives you the opportunity to take a break and have yourself a L&P with the locals, incorporating drive time with recreation.
If you're looking for some travel inspiration:
With a little bit of planning and a smile on your face, head out the door and experience all that summer has to offer in New Zealand. Now that the important stuff is out of the way, book a camper with Mighway and start counting down the days until your next adventure!